Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Gordon St Garage

Last week I visited Gordon St Garage with a friend for brunch. I may be a little late to the GSG game but better late than never, right? My first impression of the place was a relaxed atmosphere, friendly service and an almost overwhelmingly hipster vibe. The kind that says we wanted to make a place that reconnected with the old backyard garage (quoted directly from their website).

IMG_3756-1

IMG_3759-1

IMG_3767-1

We ordered some drinks - fresh orange juice ($7) and an iced coffee ($6) for myself. The coffee was simple in presentation and slightly lacking in that elusive hit of caffeine.

IMG_3768-1

IMG_3773-1

I debated between something traditional, like bacon and eggs, and absolutely pigging out on their GSG option. In the end, eggs and bacon on sourdough ($17) won out. My friend got the roasted field mushrooms, tasmanian brie and chive oil on toast ($17).

The food, when it arrived, was anticlimactic and a little disappointing. I honestly expected more from a place with such overreaching hype and positive reviews. The presentation was kitschy but endearing in its own way. The bacon and sourdough were fairly nondescript but the eggs were something else altogether. They committed the cardinal sin of over-poaching so that when you cut into the egg, instead of a gorgeous yellow-orange runny yolk, it just huddled inside forlornly.

IMG_3778-1

IMG_3776-1

IMG_3782-1

Overall it was a good dining experience, but not fantastic, and probably not worth a return visit.

Gordon St Garage on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. I am looking for a 10 x 19" picture frame but can't seem to find one. I want a cheap frame. I've tried wilkinson and the range. Does anyone know where else I can check?.

    Also visit my web site: Picture Frames|Custom Picture Frames|Picture frames online|pictureframeguys.com|pictureframeguys|Picture Frame Guys|PictureFrameGuys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing but I'll take your word for the taste being not worth it. Haha, it seems like this was a learning experience. Looking forward to more reviews like this.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, this looks like such a fantastic time. At least the presentation was really nice, haha.

    xx.
    fashion and tea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks delicious~ ouu bacon! haha :D love the relaxed vibe of this place as you described. definitely a place to just sit and 'getaway'/relax :D


    Joyce @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very simple to find out any topic on net as compared to
    books, as I found this piece of writing at this web page.



    My webpage; sell gold

    ReplyDelete